The Workshop Coffee Manager ensures that La Colombe’s Workshop coffees are of high quality, are roasted carefully, and are consistently delicious. They are also responsible for managing a team of coffee roasters and production assistants at our roasteries in Philadelphia, NY, Chicago, and LA. La Colombes Workshop coffees are intended to push the boundaries of coffee’s culinary potential. They showcase the storied nuance of their origin. They are the coffees that have inspired folks to view coffee differently. La Colombes Workshop has a rich history of reimagining the potential of sourcing and roasting. It’s the creative arm of La Colombe production.
- Source quality single origin green coffee to meet business needs and to meet or exceed La Colombe quality standards.
- Practice sustainable, conscientious green buying.
- Establish and maintain working relationships with farmers and importers.
- Ability to transcribe roast curves through different batch sizes and environments.
- Roast coffees to evoke their fullest potential and consistently score highly in cuppings.
- Develop and maintain optimal roast profiles for all coffees.
- Develop and maintain blend components for all Workshop blends to meet goals set for cost without compromising quality.
- Leadership and development of a quality-focused team to define standards for all coffee products including RTD.
- Educate and communicate the points of difference to our internal and external stakeholders in a positive and professional manner.
- Serve as the storyteller of our coffee and its origins to cultivate passion and product knowledge through the broader La Colombe team.
- Creation, planning, and execution of seasonal coffees in coordination with product managers.
- Assist R&D team as needed with sensory analysis and insights.
- Consistently meet business objectives while staying on budget.
PEOPLE & CULTURE
- Build and maintain engagement of the team by providing an excellent employee experience.
- Develop talent plans that prioritizes diversity at all levels and builds the capability of our people to take on positions of greater responsibility.
- Demonstrate compassion and care in relationships with teams while setting clear expectations and accountabilities.
- Must be inspired to fulfill our mission: Make people happy with coffee.
- Advanced knowledge of coffee cupping and tasting.
- Familiarity with the SCA Coffee flavor wheel.
- Keen understanding of roast profiling.
- 5+ years of coffee roasting experience including sample roasting, roast profiling, and equipment maintenance
- 2 years of people and product management experience in any field
- Experience in scoring and buying of green coffee
- Ability to assess and score roasted coffee
- Experience in green coffee handling, and supply chain partnership
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency with Excel
- Q grader preferred
- Ability to travel 20% of the time (+ must be vaccinated to travel)
- Reports to Director of Coffee
- Direct supervision over quality and production teams at satellite roasters in NYC, Chicago, Los Angeles and more as we grow.
- Position partners closely with the Director of Coffee, Product Managers and national production team.
Generous Health Insurance packages
Please apply directly by clicking here