Coffee News Recap, 17 Mar: PRF El Salvador takes place in San Salvador, caffeine may reduce risk of diabetes and obesity & other stories
Every Friday, Perfect Daily Grind rounds up the top coffee industry news from the previous week. Here are this week’s stories.
Mon, 13 Mar
- Specialty Coffee Association announces 2023 Sustainability Awards finalists. The award scheme recognises excellence in sustainability in the coffee industry across three categories: Individual, Business Model, and Project. The SCA will announce the winners later this month, and will recognise award recipients at Re:co Symposium on 19 and 20 April 2023.
- Weber Workshops launches Spring Clean espresso machine cleaning tool. The spring-loaded device attaches to espresso machine groupheads, and collects up to 200ml of water in a reservoir, before releasing it back through the grouphead to reduce cleaning time.
- Franke showcases automatic Mytico coffee machine at Internorga. The customisable machines, which were created in partnership with Emo design, are part of the Swiss coffee machine manufacturer’s new BeyondTraditional range.
- Starbucks removes plant milk surcharge in German stores. German customers will no longer have to pay extra for almond, coconut, soy, and oat milks. The chain previously dropped the surcharge in the UK and France last year.
- New coffee shop simulator game Espresso Tycoon to launch in May 2023. Developer DreamWay Games’ new simulator game allows players to design and operate their own coffee shop. A demo version is currently available via the Steam platform.
- De’Longhi records 2% drop in 2022 revenue. The coffee machine and appliance manufacturer reported US $3.3 billion in revenue last year. CEO Fabio de’Longhi says he is “very satisfied” with how the company handled “extraordinarily challenging and complex” market conditions.
- The Barista League Hamburg to take place on 25 March 2023. Drilling will host the next Barista League event, which will include a barista-style competition, as well as a Sucafina cupping challenge.
Tue, 14 Mar
- MONIN to launch 2023 Summer Trends report at free webinar on 30 March. The syrups and flavourings company’s upcoming report, which predicts seasonal beverage trends, was developed in collaboration with several partners, including Allegra and CGA Strategy.
- Saudi Arabian coffee chain Camel Step opens new store at Riyadh’s King Khalid International Airport. The new airport store, which is designed to accommodate faster customer service, is the chain’s ninth location. Camel Step also announced plans to expand in international markets.
- COFE App raises US $15 million in latest funding round. The Series B funding round, which was led by Saudi Arabia’s Waed Ventures and eWTP Arabia Capital, also welcomed WAED Ventures as a lead investor. COFE App says it will use funding to expand into international markets.
- Westrock Coffee reports 24% increase in 2022 sales. The US company also reported an adjusted EBITDA of US $60.1 million for the previous financial year – representing a 27% increase on 2021.
- New study finds caffeine may reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes and obesity. Researchers in Sweden and the UK determined that people who are genetically predisposed to high blood caffeine levels were less likely to have a higher body mass index and a higher amount of body fat, as well as a lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- The Coffee Science Foundation and Keurig Dr Pepper partner on coffee farmer prosperity research project. The project, which will be led by researchers at University of Naples Parthenope and London School of Economics, will assess the impact of interventions on farmers’ incomes and whether these interventions can improve their livelihoods.
Wed, 15 Mar
- Boram Julio Um wins Brazilian Barista Championship for third time. The founder of Um Coffee Co. in São Paulo has previously claimed the title in both 2020 and 2022. Um will go on to represent Brazil at the 2023 World Barista Championship at World of Coffee Athens from 22 to 24 June.
- More than 800 people attend the 2023 National Coffee Association Convention in Tampa, Florida. The NCA says the event marked a “successful return to in-person conventions”. Keynote speakers included Cheryl Hung of Dig Insights, G. Scott Clemons of Brown Brothers Harriman, and Tim Powell of Foodservice IP.
- Marketing research firm Stravito launches Research Management tool for coffee businesses. The platform allows coffee businesses to review available research before planning a new project. International food and beverage company Danone has successfully trialled Stravito’s Research Management tool.
- World Coffee Research appoints Dr. Robert Kawuki as Research Scientist and Scientific Partnership Manager for Asia & Africa. Kawuki, who previously served as Senior Principal Research Officer at Uganda’s National Agricultural Research Organisation, has nearly 20 years of experience in breeding and genomic selection.
- Darrin Daniel resigns as Executive Director of Alliance for Coffee Excellence and Cup of Excellence. Daniel has held the position for more than six years. Daniel helped to expand ACE and CoE’s competitions and auctions into new countries, as well as overseeing the launch of the Private Collection Auction programme.
- Café Show China 2023 to take place from 1 to 3 September in Beijing. This year’s event, which will be hosted at the China International Exhibition Centre, is expected to attract around 48,000 visitors and 260 exhibitors.
Thu, 16 Mar
- PRF El Salvador takes place at the Salamanca Exhibition Centre in San Salvador. The two-day forum features lectures, panel discussions, cupping sessions, and workshops hosted by some of the world’s leading coffee professionals. The event is set to attract thousands of attendees and generate thousands in sales of Salvadoran coffee. PRF Colombia will take place from 14 to 15 September 2023.
- New study suggests climate hazards will add increasing pressure on global coffee production. The research published in PLOS Climate says that the impact of climate change could cause widespread reductions in yields in multiple producing countries within the same timeframe.
- PRF El Salvador announces winners of 2023 Salvadoran Barista Championship and Brewers Cup. In partnership with Café de El Salvador, PRF El Salvador hosted both national coffee championships at the Salamanca Exhibition Centre in San Salvador. Carlos Cubias is the 2023 Salvadoran Barista Champion, while Alejandro Méndez placed first at the 2023 Salvadoran Brewers Cup.
- Oatly reports further financial losses in 2022. The oat milk manufacturer reported more than US $250 million in losses over a two-year period, and adds that the company now has a “clear line of sight to reaching profitability”. Oatly has adjusted its 2023 EBITDA to US $268 million.
- Circular economy expert Piotr Barczak says coffee capsules are “overpackaged” and “iniefficient”. Speaking to NewGround, Barczak says packaging accounts for over 30% of a single coffee capsule, which he claims is a misuse of resources. Barczak also questions the findings of a recent University of Quebec study which suggests coffee capsules have a lower environmental impact than other brewing methods.
- Victor Allen’s launches Snickers and Twix-flavoured RTD iced coffees. Parent company Trillian partnered with Mars to create two confectionary-themed RTD coffees, which are available in US Walmart stores.
Fri, 17 Mar
- National Federation of Colombian Coffee Growers postpones selection of candidates for General Manager position. The FNC previously announced that seven candidates have been shortlisted for the role, but now says that the selection process has been postponed until the week beginning 20 March.
- World of Coffee Athens opens volunteer applications. The event will take place at the Athens Metropolitan Expo from 22 to 24 June 2023. Prospective volunteers can now apply online.
- PRF announces winners of 2023 Toddy Cold Brew Championship and the first-ever Global Roasting Contest. The Toddy Cold Brew Championship returns after a successful debut at PRF Colombia in 2022, while the Global Roasting Contest is the first event of its kind in the coffee industry. The winners of the 2023 Toddy Cold Brew Coffee Championship were Juan Aristizabal from Colombia and Julia Dziadevych from Hungary. The winner of the first-ever Global Roasting Contest, who received an Aillio Bullet Roaster R1 V2, was Shaun Aupiais from South Africa.
- Neumann Kaffee Gruppe announces 2023-2024 NKG PACE partners. Partners for the next NKG Partnership to Advance Coffee Equity (PACE) programme, which focuses on green coffee quality, are Jalen Kelly, Shaa’ista Sabir, and Zakiya Mason. The first three partners of the NGK PACE programme are will graduate on 28 April 2023.
- Re:co Symposium announces event schedule. Confirmed speakers at the event include World Coffee Research’s Dr. Tania Humphreys, the Coffee Sensorium’s Dr. Fabiana Carvalho, and University of Oregon’s Dr. Christopher Hendon. This year’s Re:co Symposium will take place in Portland, Oregon on 19 and 20 April.
- Polish World Barista Champion Agnieszka Rojewska to launch Sheep & Raven roastery on 19 March. The 2022 World Coffee in Good Spirits Champion says Sheep & Raven will sell “the same exact coffees that [she] would drink every day”, including a washed Colombia Sudan Rume hybrid and a “supernatural” process coffee from Los Pirineos in El Salvador.
- Swedish Coffee Week 2023 to take place in Gothenburg from 4 to 7 May. The event will host the 2023 Swedish Barista Championship and Brewers Cup, as well as a home roasting competition and several cupping sessions.
Here are a few coffee news stories from previous weeks that you might find interesting. Take a look.
- Tue, 7 Mar – Coffee packaging company NuZee enters manufacturing agreement with Californian roaster Apffels. Nuzee plans to expand its manufacturing footprint on the US West Coast to increase production efficiency and profit margins.
- Wed, 8 Mar – International Coffee Partners announces Rui Miguel Nabeiro as new Chair. Nabeiro currently serves as the CEO of Grupo Nabeiro/Delta Cafés.
- Wed, 8 Mar – Consórcio Cerrado das Águas announces successful expansion of hydrographic basin projects in Brazil’s Cerrado Mineiro region. The organisation says it has made significant progress with efforts to preserve river basins in the region, and has expanded its methodology across various communities in Cerrado Mineiro.
- Thu, 9 Mar – Cold brew brand Chameleon launches Organic Espresso Martini Mixer. The company says its new non-alcoholic, cold brew-infused mixer helps to “elevate the espresso martini experience”.
- Thu, 9 Mar – Starbucks Odyssey releases its first limited-edition NFT selection. The new Web3 loyalty programme launched two “Stamps” which feature the iconic Starbucks siren. However, some users reported experiencing various technical difficulties during the launch.
- Fri, 10 Mar – Starbucks Workers United will ask shareholders to back an upcoming labour review. Reuters reports that the union plans to request that Starbucks investors support a shareholder proposal for an independent review of the coffee chain’s labour practices.
- Fri, 10 Mar – World Coffee Research extends its Shade Catalog tool to Peruvian coffee farmers. The catalogue provides environmentally-specific knowledge to support farmers in selecting shade trees which are beneficial to coffee production, as well as supporting and diversifying household income, providing ecosystem services, and increasing biodiversity.
- Fri, 10 Mar – SCA Canada introduces 2023 leadership committee. New members include National Coordinator, Sam Mazzella, Education Coordinator, Nelson Teskey, Marketing Coordinator, Alison Ensworth, Communications Coordinator, Venice Vallegq, Community Coordinator, Alex Maiso, and Competitions Coordinator, Josh Hockin.
Sign up to our weekly coffee news recap to get a summary of all the biggest stories in the sector, delivered straight to your inbox every Monday.
Want to keep up with current affairs in the coffee industry? Check out last week’s stories and make sure to read the latest Coffee Intelligence news & opinion piece recapping the first day of PRF El Salvador.